Sunday, November 25, 2007

Not worried....you'll come back

Vegas is an interesting place unlike any other. Every time I go there I say....that was fun, but I am never coming back. And for some reason I end up back within the next year or so. Is it the faux buildings, the fake people, the chance for riches? Well, most of my visits have been purely because it happens to be on the way to Santa Barbara but there is a certain excitement about being in a place that doesn't sleep. Then there is a certain depressing disturbance watching people indulge in every possible activity that those same people can in no way afford. So....Vegas.....exciting and disturbing all in one big fuzzy ball of energy.
My architecture side: There is a new development going up in Vegas called City Center. It is a 68 acre, $7.4 billion project. It will be the essence of over indulgence in a city of over indulgence. Oh but wait.....the development will be LEED certified. Who are you kidding? I mean really. Sure its great that the effort was made. If its going to be built it might is well be somewhat environmentally friendly but....okay well I am back and forth on the issue but something doesn't seem quite right and I believe it is yet another sign that the LEED system, while good, is flawed and could use some tuning. BEHOLD, a Smörgåsbord of celebrity architect designs all in the beautiful landscape of Las Vegas, Nevada.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fact that they are building such a behemoth in the middle of the desert should disqualify it from any environmental kudos...

-Colin