Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend

It has been a really busy past week. My brother, who is serving in Iraq, came home on leave to get married to a fellow soldier. Her family is from Louisiana so we made the trip down there. It was really nice to get away for a bit as well as meet new people, see new things, etc. I am excited for them and the commitment that they have decided to make.
We also took the opportunity to see some of the site
s. We went on a swamp tour and also went into New Orleans. Check out this snapper that was right outside of our boat (canoe).


The swamp was actually surprisingly beautiful. I had a great time. Overall, it was great to be with family away from work and school and everything else at home that occupies my mind constantly.
By Memorial Day we were back home and ran the BolderBoulder 10k race. I have ran it for five years straight and every time is a great experience. It is a race of over 50,000 that welcomes all to have a great time and also honors those who serve in our military. It is an interesting time right now where political differences, especially about the war, question what patriotism is and how it should be shown. I do not choose to use this site as a banner for my political views but regardless of what is taking place right now in our world I am proud to be in this country and have the rights and freedoms I have. I am proud of our flag and see it as a representation of what we have here, not a representation of a political party or current idea. It is much deeper than that. I am grateful for soldiers, especially my brother and my brand new sister-in-law who are willing to do what they do. My wife and I ran in honor of them and their sacrifices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool... We keep David and his new wife in our hearts and wish them safely home as soon as can be.