Sunday, January 13, 2008

Canyoning - 12/29/07

I never heard of canyoning before but the opportunity came and it sounded interesting so we went for it. First, I adorned myself in a wetsuit much smaller than my frame, shoes much bigger than my feet and a helmet that actually fit quite well. Hiking was the next which proved to be somewhat difficult in a wetsuit but I soon forgot my pains due to the overwhelming beauty of the trail that enveloped us as we carried on.

We ended up at a waterfall that emptied into a pool which carried further and further down the mountain. Canyoning entailed sliding down waterfalls and jumping off cliffs until we made it back to where we started. The adventure ended with a 90 foot waterfall which we repelled part way down and jumped the rest. The vegetation around the waterfall bared the richest greens I had ever seen due to the constant misting. We were extremely wet the whole time so unfortunately there are no pictures to document this part of the trip.

The day ended with dinner with friends and a party at "the barn"....a huge barn converted into a woodshop, offices and our friend's residence on the top two floors. Not a bad day.

No comments: