Monday, January 21, 2008

Valparaiso & Santiago, Chile 1-07-08 - 1-09-08

Unfortunately by this time in the trip our small camera was out of batteries...and for some reason we never got a foreign power converter....and our larger SLR was giving us some problems. I was really disappointed, I mean, I bought this camera two months ago based on amazing reviews and here I was having problems with the lens. It has now been sent in and I will update on Nikon's customer service. Sooooo, we took three or four pictures in Valparaiso and none in Santiago.

Valparaiso was a very cool yet strange place. It is a port city built on rather steep hills, consequently, all the roads are steep, curvy and really rough. We stayed in a pretty humble hostal but the view out our window was cool (shown below) and we only strayed there for a day....I can handle most accommodations for a day. We did a lot of walking, rode the famous acensors, ate a lot of good food and found ourselves in Santiago before we knew it.Our experience in Santiago this time was soooooo much better. I loved the city. We rode the metro to all different parts of the city visiting art museums, college neighborhoods, hiking trails, great restaurants, parks, ice cream..... basically walking and walking and seeing and experiencing until just before we flew out. We were on the plane home just in time to not see our feet fall off. Overall it was an amazing trip. Of course I have left out so many details such as rafting and other hikes and huge flies called tabanos and other things but you get the idea. It was a great experience to witness and mingle with another culture and feel the kindness of people whom I didn't even know. And so, now its back in Colorado, back at work....thinking about the next place I want to go.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Any ideas where you guys will go next?