Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year!

I feel like the New Year has started off rather well. Granted, I am not even 5 days into it but there should be something said for good starts. The plan was to head up to Aspen for the turn of the new year. Due to some circumstances an arrival into Aspen would change to the evening of the 1rst. Little did we know a disgruntled old man was on the loose, planting bombs in banks, taking his on life and shutting down any festivities planned for downtown Aspen. The delayed departure was a good idea.

The day after we arrived was sunny, beautiful and my first day on the slopes for the season. I felt good. The expanses of the sky were open before me and the tunnel vision that I had felt for the past few months had finally cleared for longer than a day. Between the trip to Santa Barbara and this trip, I was forgetting the familiar look of my feet, or my books, or whatever was below the horizon. This was the view of Highlands from Ruthie's at Ajax.
Saturday it was dumping snow. We decided that we would start heading back home but wanted to stop somewhere along the way to snowshoe. For years I have wanted to go to Hanging Lake. Its tucked in the middle of Glenwood Canyon and due to the engineering marvel of a highway of this section of I-70 its kind of difficult to commit to going. The lake is known for its waterfalls, lush greenery and the way its perched on the side of a mountain. Here we were hiking it in the middle of winter and dumping snow. It was amazing. We were the only people on the trail and the sights around the lake were unreal. Upon arriving to the lake the lady said, "It's a Winter Wonderland!!" I don't think I have ever described something as such but this really was.

My point and shoot on hand just wasn't cutting it but oh well. Go see it for yourself this time of year.

3 comments:

Stan and Maia said...

Wow! I feel a need to go to this place. It's straight out of Paradise..

Colin G said...

Reading this post makes me homesick for Colorado. We spent New Year's eve in New York city, about as far from Colorado as you can get, both physically and philosophically.

Colin G said...

Oh yeah, and ask Sarah about her first trip down the Highlands Bowl.