Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Shredding In Gnarnia

We spent the past weekend up in Breckenridge with my brother-in-law and his girlfriend. I'll admit, I wasn't too excited for the slopes considering it had been around 70 degrees all week in Denver with no snow. I was excited to get out of town though. Turns out, the snow came at the perfect time, snowing most of the day Friday as well as Saturday. The riding was great and we managed to cover some serious ground all over the resort.
It also happened to be the Breck International Snow Sculpture Competition. I had been wanting to check this out for years and finally we happened to drop in on it. It really was amazing! I couldn't believe what people were able to pull off with a block of snow. As I was walking around I kept hearing bits and pieces of conversations the sculptors were having. These people are so weird...why are they so weird, I thought. The impermanence, playfulness and setting of the snow had me completely forget that, in fact, these people were artists. Full on artists. And I have found...sometimes artists are weird.
Pictures below:




2 comments:

Emily said...

Those are incredible! I've been meaning to get up to see them for years, too. Maybe next year?

Anonymous said...

The pictures are beautiful! I have never been either. We ahve sculpture here, but they don't melt and are often vandalized.