Wednesday, January 28, 2009

International Textbooks

US Version Textbook $177.00
International Version Textbook $53.00

I am in an International Business class that discusses the positive outcomes of globalization and argues the pros and cons of free trade. The textbook used makes that argument, validating free trade, yet the international copy is prohibited to use in the US.

When I pay for an imported product, I pay more than if I were to live in the country of the originating product. Something doesn't add up here. Other countries are paying less for an imported product. Well, I guess its not imported because the international edition is printed outside the US....McGraw-Hill gives them that right I guess....for a price. Now, if I can get it cheaper, even with shipping from a foreign printer, why isn't McGraw-Hill sending all their rights overseas to lower the cost of textbooks for US students. I am sure there is a profit margin there.

But how about this. It may just be me but because my International Editions are cheap, I hold on to them for reference rather than reselling them back into the system. If other people felt the same way, McGraw-Hill would in fact, make more money because they would be selling more books. I mean, you would have to run the numbers but I'm just sayin'.

Anyway, I have thought about this before but it seems even more ridiculous when the book is an International Business one. Also, I am aware that I am probably missing something, so if I do find out something coherent this semester I will jot it down. Oh and if you have insight, feel free to fill me in.

No comments: